Thursday, July 14, 2011

Gorgonzola, Pear, and Pecan Pizza


This idea came from a few different places.....an episode of Teen Mom (don't judge) and from Ginolina a local San Rafael restaurant that is just to die for!  I have never been disappointed by there food and have sampled a few different selections (I have a habit for finding a great meal at a restaurant and then always ordering the same thing).....I gambled a few days ago and decided to order from their pizza menu.....after all they do have a wood burning pizza oven - I can not think of a more rustic way to cook....over fire.....that's how our ancestors used to cook.....it was the original way to start preparing our food....think of all the innovations since the time of the first flame and I assume freshly butchered meat.....I am guessing that the first cooked meal was not a vegetable, or a grain....although I am interested to find out....sad thing is there is probably not any "record" of it....or maybe there is and it is yet to be discovered...

  OK.....pizza crust recipe I "borrowed" from Mike.....truth is I altered it a bit from the instructions on the recipe card that lives in the binder with red cherries on it....just want to give credit where credit is due!  This explains while the title has Mike in quotations......

"Mike's" Pizza Dough
1.5 pkg active dry yeast
1.25 cup hot water
.5 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
2.75 cups flour

  Get hot water from the tap and mix in the sugar.  Then sprinkle the yeast on top, I use a "superhuge" mug that is literally the size of a bowl......it works well.  And it used to be my brother's so I am glad that I have a use for the mug of his that I kind of stole....I let the yeast sit for about 5 minutes....then add in the flour and salt.....Mix until dough forms.....I just do this with one hand, this way one hand stays clean!   Then I grease a large stainless steel bowl with extra virgin olive oil and get the dough covered....I like to use a wet dish towel - warm water - place over the bowl and keep in a dark warm place....sometimes this is just the cupboard....but with this pizza I had just finished roasting the pecans so the oven was still warm, but not on.....the dough spent 55 minutes rising and was huge!  It is always fun to see this and then sucker-punch the air out of it!  I then proceeded to roll it out....this recipe has been used on a variety of pizza cooking pans - cookie sheet - air bake pizza pan - pizza stone....of course I think the stone is the best....I just don't own one so this time I used the cookie sheet....it's one of my new tools I had to break-in....

Pecans:
These I candied - one of my great grandmothers recipes that I altered for timing sake....I am sure during the holidays that the original candied pecan recipe will come out....they are so unbelievably decadent and delicious! 
Take 1 egg white and beat with a whisk until bubbly....then add granulated sugar (.25 cup) and cinnamon (just sprinkle on top) and mix well....coat the pecans and place on a cookie sheet that is covered in aluminum foil and sprayed with pam.....bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes.  This version of candied pecans is not as good as the original....

Pears:
  I was not sure what in the heck to do with these.....I ended up purchasing D'Anjou variety.....apparently they originated in the mid 19th century in either Belgium or France....they are noted as having a light buttery flavor and crisp texture....I am always interested in where food originates...I remember one of my favorite classes in undergrad was Plants & People......my professor basically traveled around the world and researched food....he spent many moments discussing tales of the origin of food and what it's original use was for....I found it very interesting and always made me hungry....I can still remember the saffron lecture to this day!

   I ended up slicing the pears in rings, similar to that of a pineapple and thought it might be interesting to saute them first in some honey....it worked out well and imparted a wonderful flavor and color....but the pear slices were too thick in my opinion....I would either slice them thinner and not sautee or cut them in smaller pieces after sauteing.....I have so much to learn! 


Sauce:

  This was even more of an experiment than the freakin' pears........I had no idea what to add....so I went with my instincts....I took some sour cream (Daisy brand - fat free) and added some liquid honey (California orange blossom) and mixed it in with some cinnamon.....I also crumbled some gorgonzola cheese in this as well.....

Gorgonzola:
   I have never purchased gorgonzola before so I was pleased to walk to the market and see how many varietals there were to choose from....there were 3....2 of them were domestic and 1 was actually produced in Italy.....I guess the choice was made for me!  I later found out that gorgonzola is actually the name of a town in northern Italy....think of the history there....it makes me want to go to the oldest dairy in Gorgonzola that still makes gorgonzola and learn about the process...I wonder if the workers enjoy smelling like cheese all day long...I also wonder if they are allowed to sample the cheese....I wonder more what they use it for....all I know is that this "blue cheese" is delicious...it has such a wonderful creamy texture....but still with substance .........so, not like brie.....although, it does melt in your mouth....then again what great cheese doesn't?

Construction:

  After spreading out the dough on a grease cookie sheet, I then spread on the sauce - I ended up adding just a little too much....then I added on the pears and the rest of the gorgonzola and topped it off with the pecans....I hammered the pecans down in size to get more surface area for flavor!  Baked it in the over for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees and then 15 minutes at 375 degrees....all in all it turned out not too bad.....there are a few alterations for next time....for one thing would be adding more cheese and perhaps a pinch of salt....

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment