Friday, July 22, 2011

Too Much Left Over Chicken....what to do?

The other day my husband decided that the deal on chicken thighs was just too good to pass up so 15 thighs later I need some ideas.....

  The pesto I made earlier in the week was screaming to me......all I could do is listen....



For this dish I started by sauteing up some brown mushrooms in extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and red pepper flakes.....then I added in the chicken meat, I just ripped it in small pieces with my hands......then I added in some pesto and a little bit of water....the pesto was just a little bit too thick....the yellow tomatoes were an after thought but I thought they looked great!  Then I took some bowtie pasta, apparently it's called farfalle!  I under cooked it just a bit and then added it to the frying pan to finish cooking in the pesto.....it was delicious and a simple, quick way to get dinner on the table!

  Now, having only used 4 chicken thighs in the former recipe I had to do something else.....or maybe I just wanted to....at any rate....this one knocked my socks off....


   This one started off with 2 white onions, sauteed in extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic....I actually got the oil hot and got the garlic going first....it smelled so good.....then I added in some seasoned salt and red pepper flakes.....of course.
  I used 4 thighs again in this one and found some sausage in the freezer...it was actually chicken sausage with spices and cheese, so I sliced them up and added them to the frying pan......then comes the sauce....this was definitely not a 1950's housewife moment, more like a 1980's housewife moment....I had  a container of Buitoni tomato herb parmesan sauce....(also works well as a pizza sauce).....and I had a 1/3 of a container of Safeway brand 4 cheese pasta sauce that was just looking so sad.....so I added that as well.  I also added salt and pepper!

  I let this simmer down and then added the not even close to being cooked pasta....I knew that I was going to bake it so I wanted to prevent the pasta from being way over done.....after a minute of mixing the pasta in the sauce I added it to a baking dish and then topped it with shredded parmesan cheese.....it went in the oven for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees to get the cheese melted.....

  The flavor in this was unreal....best of all my husband now has a few lunches all ready to go!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment