Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Grilled Pizza....


 This was for sure an experiment....

  I started with Mike's focaccia recipe and too much basil....there happened to be some rip roma tomatoes, left over white onion....and of course some fresh mozarella.....what else is a gurl to do then to make a "pizza" and then cook it over the charcoal.....it turned out to be delicious and a wonderful experiment.....the taste of the fresh basil is unreal.....I ended up harvesting even more today....



  It's growing faster than I can keep up with it!  Which is not a bad thing at all!  It will also be delicious in salads.....I do have some pre-roasted and chopped pine nuts....so that means a little more pesto I shall make....this time I would like to get enough to be able to can it and store for the winter when the growing season is over!

Focaccia
2 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt, sugar, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil, black pepper
1 pkg of yeast
1 cup warm water
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

  Add all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl....I also added some red pepper flakes.....then add in the warm water and oil.  Mix well......as soon as it is incorporated, transfer to an oiled bowl - the bigger the better.....then cover with a wet dish rag....of course a clean one!  Then keep in a warm place for about 30 minutes....when I was mixing the bread I heated up the oven to 400 degrees and then turned it off and let the dough rise in there....it worked well.....
  Since we have a mini-grill I ended up making a pizza and have enough dough left over for what might be considered a personal pizza (this I cooked in the oven and topped it with some left over bruschetta topping from dinner last night).  I wrapped the rack for the grill with aluminum foil and then sprayed it with pam so the pizza wouldn't stick.....it turned out to be delicious!  I think I would like to try getting rid of the aluminum foil and adding the pizza right on the rack..... I think it would give it even more flavor (I'll let you know!).....

  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment